In-house PIC packaging
Test and validation of bare die
- Visual inspection: During the visual inspection of chip, defects like waveguide interruption, poor metallization, etc, can be identified.
- Functional testing: Our test benches are equipped with appropriate equipment and appliances for chip evaluation. With the multiprobe system, test chips with bondpads of pitch and dimensions in according with our ‘General Design Rules for Packaging’ can be tested for the transmission spectrum. Different type of optical I/Os (including SM or PM lensed or cleaved fibers and grating coupler) can be pigtailed to the test chips.
- Evaluation of the functionality: We have the right tools and software for data acquisition. Customers can evaluate the test results and the feedback from Tipps to determine whether the test chips are functioning as expected and provide the basis to decide on proceeding with packaging.
- Compare to the simulation model
- Reporting to the designers and foundries
- Root cause analysis of unexpected effects or behaviour
Test and validation of packaged die
- Die bonding: Die-bonding refers to adhesion of chip to a fixed structure within the package and underneath the fixed structure there is the element for active cooling to control chip temperature up to sub-kelvin or even milli-Kevin scale. For precise positioning of chip and repeatable die-bonding quality, Tipps uses die-bonder to dispense the right amount of epoxy and pick-and-place chips.
- Oven curing: Oven curing is being used for curing of epoxy and our programmable oven allows curing with different recipes to fit the different chip and package requirements. In some applications (e.g. Grating coupler) requires the use of UV curing epoxy and we have tunable UV sources for such applications.
- Wire bonding: Optical chips are connected to electronics world through gold wire connections. Wire-bonder is used to drawn these wires from metal bond pads on chip to bond pads on PCB.
- Fiber alignment: To minimize insertion loss from fiber to chip, we are equipped with semi-automatic fiber aligner which is capable of aligning fiber up to sub-micron precision, through active alignment.
Contact us to see what we can do for your company!